February 14, 2011

Can't write about it yet...

I don't know... I just can't...
What do you say to students who complain that they don't know what to write about or they can't write anything during your writing class? Well, after many failed attempts to get the students start with their first sentence on a topic, I tell them to write about their feelings when they don't know what to write about... I even tell them to describe what goes on in their head when they run out of ideas to write. Interestingly, it worked! I'm always amazed how depth the students ended up writing about their frustration of "not" being able to write anything in class.

I'm going through the same thing here. I'm sure everyone has some stuff that they have a hard time  talking about, and for some reason for me those are issues related to teacher evaluation and teacher appreciation. I find it difficult to get my thoughts together on these topics. Perhaps it's because of my
unpleasant experiences with these two things... Had I written my entries on papers, a lot of trees would have gone to waste as I tried to write.

I'm not a good writer and I don't know how a writer's mind really works. I was once told that I should put my heart and soul into my writing so my voices will be heard. Unfortunately, for these two topics, too much emotions are involved that stop me from finishing an entry... I have tried to ask myself several questions to start off my writing, like how to fairly evaluate teachers, what kinds of evaluations will teachers benefit from, and how teachers should be appreciated accordingly. But as I look for the answers to these questions, all I can think of are my very-bitter and semi-bitter memories of being evaluated as a teacher which inevitably bring back the disappointment that I long to forget...

Who knows, perhaps one day I can stop being so resentful and share with you about my thoughts and experiences on this topic. But for now, all I can say is "I can't write about it yet, so I'll just write WHY I can't write about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment